This was how the story went: I atteneded speech which was about "personal safty and self defense". It was not the topic or the speaker itself, but the prize-drawing(tickets) for winning gifts after the speech that mattered. At the beginning of the speech, we were asked to throw the papers written with our own names into the box, then after the speech was over the faculty would pick ten tickets from piles of accumulating tickets to find the gift-winners. Then here came the obnoxious part.
A DAMN FACULTY JUST THREW HER TICKET IN THE BOX THEN WENT OUT FOR CHATTING BLASTING HER LAUGHTERS WITHOUT ATTENDING THE WHOLE SPEECH AND THEN CAME BACK AFTER THE SPEECH WAS OVER AND HOSTED THE PRIZE-DRAWING CAMPAIGN AND "ACCIDENTALLY" DREW THE TICKET OF HERS AND WON THE PRIZE(AND WTF?!) AND NOW HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?
Our school also have a campaign to make the freshman collecting stamps by attending and listening speeches(If you haven't finished collecting b4 deadline you'll get flunk or not be able to graduate or whatever), both the principal and professors as well said that we freshmen should attend speeches sincerely rather than just going there for the sake of collecting stamps because we ought to learn something from the speeches.
THE SAME!!! IF YOU, THE SCHOOL, REQUIRE THE FRESHMEN TO DO SUCH MEANINGLESS STUFF(I'M NOT SAYING LEARNING FROM SPEECHES DUMB BUT FOLLOWING THE RULES THAT RULER HIMSELF DISOBEY WITH HIS OWN RULES), THAT THE FIRST THING TO DO IS ASKING YOURSELF WETHER YOU DID IT OR NOT. A SCHOOL SHOULD BEST EXAMPLIFY THE DECENT BEHEAVIOR RATHER GOT SPITTED BECAUSE OF THE INFAMY, PERIOD.
I have exactly the same feeling as yours!!! I know that it’s good for us to listen to as more meaningful speeches as we can, and I also know that I should choose the themes widely. But when these two things become rules to restrict me, the value would decrease instantly and make us students feel awful. The free time which can be used by us is always limited; of course we want to use it wisely to do something which is good for ourselves. But when the events which have stamps for us to collect are always essential that students just join them for the stamps, is the value of these great things still exist?
ReplyDelete